Current weather & time in NZ J 42° F

US Freephone 1 888 891 0526

Current New Zealand Situation - Covid-19

We will regularly update you on exactly what the situation is in New Zealand so you can plan for your hunt trip, whether it has been postponed in 2020 or you are planning for 2021


New Zealand is in Alert Level 4 which means we are in full lockdown for 4 weeks.  All non-essential businesses are now closed. 
There are currently 943 confirmed cases, and 1 death. 

Covid 19 Alert Level 4 means:

  • People instructed to stay at home
  • Educational facilities closed
  • Businesses closed except for essential services (ie: supermarkets, pharmacies, clinics and lifeline utilities)
  • Rationing of supplies and requisitioning of facilities
  • Travel severely limited
  • Major reprioritisation of health services

Alpine Hunting is deemed a non-essential service (really??), so we have been closed down until further notice from our Government.  Our staff are in their own home isolating and are being paid a subsidy provided by the Government to keep them employed.  Shane, Nicki, Liam and Andy are isolating at the lodge.  We are working daily to devise a plan going forward for rescheduling hunts.


The New Zealand Government has made further travel restrictions to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. New Zealand's borders are closed for entry to almost all travellers.  Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis by Immigration New Zealand.  No other foreign traveller can now enter New Zealand. 

If you booked through our travel agent , you will be contacted around 2 weeks before you were due to travel, and you will have the option to put your flights into credit.  This will give you until 31st March 2021 to rebook (You do not have to have travelled by this date).  All Travel Agents are dealing with huge numbers of client inquiry right now.. please know that they are prioritizing customers in order of departure so you will be contacted.  For those of you who have booked your own travel, you will need to contact the airline directly.


We are prepared to roll your entire deposit to future years.  We need more information before we can look at rescheduling with regard to flight availability and travel restrictions.  Our difficulty is that the 2021 season is currently heavily booked, but we do anticipate changes further down the track when the economic impact of Covid-19 Pandemic become more apparent.  We will extend the 2021 season by 6 weeks to try to accommodate everybody. 




Posted by Alpine Hunting on April 08, 2020


More Reviews